A guide by the experts and tutors of The English Manner detailing the rich social history and manners of the most British of meals – afternoon tea. Includes written and visual advice on how to hold tea and coffee cups, the correct layering of a scone, table settings for tea, as well as a comprehensive history of afternoon tea and tea rooms.
The history sections include:
- The Bedford Orthodoxy
- The early role of women and tea
- Pre-Anna references to Afternoon Tea
- What exactly did the Duchess of Bedford do?
- The modern afternoon tea is born: or was it?
- The rise of the Victorian tea room
- A potted history of tea
The etiquette sections include:
- How to hold a teacup
- Milk, lemon and sugar
- Sandwiches and savouries
- Cakes and patisserie
- Table settings for tea
- Tea in a private house vs a hotel